Pages

Friday, May 19, 2017

Painting Like Michelangelo

I think art is a very important facet of education. Not only does it teach us another way to see the world and analyzing works is full of depth but it's also fun! Art is something that has become frowned upon in our highly academic setting. There are art standards, but we are not asked to include them in our lesson plans and to teach them we have to be ready to justify them with another activity-for example-we are writing about that painting. We have an art teacher for the students' specials once a week, but they rarely actually make art there. Our classes are often combined for other activities or any time one of our teachers is out.

But if you know me, you know I'm a bit of a rebel. :) I still teach my students about art and famous artists. One of those is Michelangelo. They are amazed to find out he is not just a Ninja Turtle.  Michelangelo had such an incredible mind of that man and I have always been impressed with his commitment to paint the Sistine Chapel (I haven't even been able to muster the energy to paint my bedroom that I bought paint for several years ago). Now I know experts now don't think he actually did lie on his back to paint the ceiling and I do tell the kids that there are differing theories. 

For this activity we tape paper to the underside of the tables. Each student works with an assistant who hands them the brush. I use watercolors because I think it's the easiest to clean up if there are drips. They can paint whatever they'd like-the exercise is just to see how it feels to paint in a different way, from a different perspective. After one partner is done, the other has a turn.












1 comment :

  1. Art should be celebrated. I'm glad you believe that too.

    ReplyDelete