Pages

Saturday, March 11, 2017

Selfies as Writing Inspiration

We are entering into our 4th semester and we write every single day. At this time of year sometimes it's hard to come up with creative ways to get them excited about writing. We had a rodeo dress up day at our school and I took a picture of myself in my cowboy hat. Now, I don't do selfies very often but I was inspired--what if the kids took selfies and used them as inspiration for a writing assignment? So I had everyone use my phone and take a pic of themselves. Some students were excited to do it, some smiled, some made funny faces, some were incredibly reluctant. I got the pictures printed and asked them to write what that selfie says about them. Here are just a few examples:


"I look like a darling".

"happy"




My picture looks cute.


When I do this project again I may also have them create a selfie from a character in a story or maybe a historical figure-what would their selfies look like? Extend it a little bit more. But for us, the week before Spring Break, it put a little excitement into our writing. :)






2 comments :

  1. I'm not really into selfies either. In fact, my phone can't even take them. But I love how you took something that's part of our culture and kids are familiar with and integrated it into their day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! It amazes me how much they know about social media, etc. One of them asked if they could use Snapchat filters....at 5 years old! :)

    ReplyDelete