Pages

Saturday, February 20, 2016

Painting Jazz

Our students no longer go to a music teacher for their specials. My school decided that since we were beginning a Dual Language program that they would offer Spanish as the elective instead. I feel like instruction about the arts is really important. So I've tried to pick up the slack a bit in class and still introduce musical concepts. We talked about jazz music this week. 

I love the story of Louis Armstrong and how a police officer gave him a trumpet which started him down a road that would end up making him very successful. It's amazing to me how sometimes one little act of kindness can change someone's whole life. Brainpop has a pretty good video about him and about how jazz is different from other music.

So we listened to some different jazz songs and then I let the music play and asked them to paint what the music made them think of. I got a lot of rainbows and butterflies-but I also got some who I think were very creative in their responses.



"people in the past"




"a calm day and peaceful"-this little girl worked way after everyone else was done putting in all the details.







This one looks like a stained glass cave to me-my favorite painting of the day!








2 comments :

  1. I'm bummed your kids don't get music anymore. Our little ones need music, so thank you for filling in the gaps. You're so great at that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm bummed too Tammy. It was a terrible conversation to have as a staff-what are we going to cut: library, music, art or PE. The Sophie's Choice of budget cuts.

      Delete