Pages

Saturday, November 14, 2015

Big Ideas-Memory

One of Kaplan's concepts of Depth and Complexity is Big Idea. Many teachers see incorporating this simply as main idea-what was the main idea of a story, etc. I see it more as being able to explain big ideas-something that I think is a little more challenging. I read my kiddos one of my favorite stories:


And you can hear the story read aloud here: 



The book is about a boy who lives next door to a nursing home and he goes from resident to resident asking them what a memory is. He gets different answers-a memory can make you happy, it can make you sad. So I asked the kids to put into words what a memory was--I was very specific that I didn't want them to just give me an example of a memory or write "a memory is something you remember". I wanted them to go deeper than that and describe it to me in their words. Here's what they came up with:

I love this answer! I have often wondered if I am remembering something like the first day of Kindergarten, or simply remembering the picture of it.






something you remember a long time ago

a thing you have to know









something you remember of ever that's how you remember

something you remember-when my dad got me a puppy









No comments :

Post a Comment