Pages

Monday, January 19, 2015

Chapter Books ESL Students Can Relate To....

Hey y'all! I don't know about you, but every year I have LEP kiddos in my classes. I always want my students to see themselves in the characters of books they or we are reading. These books are great read-alouds, but particularly because they feature kids struggling with the idea of the English language.


A refugee from Bosnia trying to adapt to life in American schools.


One of my all-time faves! He is a refugee from Africa who lost touch with his mother in a refugee camp. (I have used this as a read-aloud, but skipped over a few violent passages describing the war). He puts the dishes in the washing machine and makes some other mistakes because he does not understand English very well. He is also thrilled to have his own desk and his own classroom. Definitely an opportunity for the kids to see school is not the same everywhere.


This main character actually speaks English-it's her mother that struggles with it and it embarrasses her. A really cute little story about a girl who reminds me a little bit of me (always with a book in her hand) when I was younger!


A family emigrates from Japan and a girl helps her cousin acclimate to American culture. His grandfather, who makes and flies kites competitively with him is very sick and here for medical treatment. A really poignant, beautiful story.




No comments :

Post a Comment