Pages

Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Adapting Penguins

We have been learning about all kinds of arctic animals, but focusing on penguins this week. One of the things I like to ask them to do is to adapt a character/person/animal for another environment. I asked them to think about how penguins were made-black and white for a reason, waxy feathers for a reason, flippers. What if they were put in a different environment? How would they adapt? I actually assigned settings for them-desert, woods, rainforest, and even space (which was my favorite answer!). I was hoping they would focus beyond just the changes in color for camouflage purposes, but they are still getting the hang of this kind of exercise.

will eat asteroids. :) There really isn't much else to eat in space I guess! :)





                            Apparently we eat a disproportionate amount of beans in Texas, who knew? :)

                                      Instead of flippers it would wear sandals and instead of blubber it would
                                                          have sunscreen. :)

 





3 comments :

  1. That is a great way to stretch their thinking! I love how you always go beyond basic understandings and push your students to deeper thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are hilarious! I love all of them! Your students are so creative!

    ReplyDelete